So. I HATE running. I always have. I am NOT a runner - never have been. I like exercise ... but I just can not run!
I've always said, literally, if I have to run to save my life - I'd die. So. Why start now?
I'm 32. I don't want to say "I'm not young"...because at 32 I do NOT in any way feel old...however, I'm really not all that young anymore.
When I was 20 and I first started exercising and losing weight, I ran on the treadmill A LOT...however I just could NOT run outside. You put me on a treadmill and I used to be able to run 20 minutes STRAIGHT with no breaks! Course, that was 10 years ago...
I've always WANTED to be a runner...I admire runners - I've always heard about the "runners high" that they get, and I've always wanted to be in that "club"...
So. The infertility group that I have talked about has a tri athalon in August. It's a bike (10 mile), swim (600 meter) and run (5K).
I want to do this so bad it hurts! haha!
I'm not so sure about the swimming (mainly because I have issues with getting water in my ears...long story...but I wear ear plugs and have bad ear issues) - so HOPEFULLY I can get someone to swim for me. I can bike 10 miles in my sleep! I LOVE LOVE LOVE biking! :D
However - running and I have never had a relationship (again, except on the treadmill).
BUT. I. want. to. RUN! I do! I see this as a challenge - PLUS it'll help me lose all this weight I've gained back.
BUT I'm looking at the possible weight loss more as a good "side effect" of this.
I want to train to get in shape to be able to participate in this AWESOME tri-athalon to help this AWESOME organization.
We'll see if I can do it or not. I need to get it out of my mind that I "hate" running - because I really think it is more of a mental thing.
There's a girl at work (who is bigger than me) who ran a 5K last year. Damnit, if SHE can do it, I can do it!
Plus - I look around at family members and I do NOT want to be like them. For example - my mother...who I absolutely LOVE more than anything (next to the hubby, of course, hehee) - can barely walk anymore. She used to be extremely active when she was younger and when she was my age she was extremely active in softball.
But now (and, granted, she IS in her 60's...) she can barely walk. Now she DOES have some sort of breathing issue that the idiot docs can't figure out (not asthma, nor any of the other 10s of thousands of dollars worth of tests she's had could find...) but like when we were in London, I "made" her walk a good 3 miles from our hotel to Buckingham Palace then to the London Eye, which is honestly only 1.5 miles from each other - but to her that could have been 10 miles...
I don't want to be like that when I'm her age. I want to be that person - when - I turn 35 I can say I'm in the "best shape of my life"!!!
Especially, too, since I have to get out of the mindset "well, I'll be pregnant soon"... :(
I've been using that excuse for 2 years - and have gained back 40 pounds in those 2 years, because of that excuse. :(
BUT One thing I am NOT doing is getting on the scale. I want this to be about training for a tri-athalong. NOT about weight loss. I will know that I have lost weight, of course, with my clothes and just how I feel in general...but yeah. I will NOT get on that scale! :D
Anyways - just wanted to share, as I will be talking about the C25K! :D
Good luck with the Couch to 5K! I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I HATE running but with the good weather I have been thinking it would be nice to do something other than my indoor bike or classes at the gym. Good to mix it up.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
ReplyDeleteHey! I feel the same way you do about running. I want to be a runner soooo bad, but I can't make it a mile without stopping 4 times. It's sad for sure. I do try though...some weeks. Haha. It does make me feel sooo good about myself when I actually get out there and do it. Really though, who cares if I stop? At least I'm trying ya know?! Good luck to you!! Just remember, any distance at any pace is better than what most people are doing (on the couch)XO
ReplyDeleteYou can do it! A 5k is really not that far - you'd be surprised and you can always go as slow as you need to.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Thanks guys!!! I've done two days now! Sunday and today! woot woot!
ReplyDeleteHey Lilly! I'm stopping by after getting your comment and I wanted to cheer you on in your running! I started running 5k's in December and I love them. I'm slow, I run the first mile or so and then run walk the rest, but I do it, I finish it, and then I feel like a warrior!
ReplyDeleteI also understand the mother fears. My mom can barely walk, too. She is very obese and her knees are so destroyed they bend backwards and sideways. I fear ending up like that myself and make a daily effort to stay healthy. Although I manage the healthy aspect, I have found there is a VERY fine line between being happy and proactive, and being destructively obsessive. If you ever want to talk about your frustrations or fears, know I'm here - just an email or comment away. Now, enjoy your runs!
P.S. this is Belle from www.scrambled-eggs.org. Blogger is being lame and not letting me comment from my site.
Hey Belle! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog! :) As I wrote on yours, I am SO very sorry for what you are going through right now. :( I really do wish I could give you a huge hug and let you know everything will be ok...
DeleteAnd yes..."destructively obsessive"...well, you're talking to someone who has "OCD" (seriously I have been seeing a therapist for it for almost two years now...) But right now I'm allowing running to become my "new" obsession until we can get on the IVF wagon...
Last night I went for my second run with a friend (who runs all the time, so I'm starting to train with her!) and I felt AMAZING!
You go girl! Keep up the good work with training!
ReplyDeleteI have used that excuse about how I will be pregnant soon so there is no point in starting a workout regimen and then it hit me that starting now will make me healthier for when I am pregnant and I can continue through it.
Good Luck! I am excited to follow your training!