Monday, May 7, 2012

Living Low Carb...

So - obviously the other part of this blog, asides from our infertility, is my love-hate relationship with low-carb living.

While I believe 100% that low-carb living is truly THE way to live a healthy life, damnit it is just so frickin' hard!

For example - I picked up some AWESOME cheeses over the weekend - French Camembert (which I fell in love with in France) and some garlic-dill cheddar and some gruyure, etc...BUT what to eat those awesome low-carb cheeses on???

So, alas I picked up a box of one of my all-time favorite crackers - Triscuits. Oh how I love the wheaty, crunchy, buttery taste of triscuits! The problem? I can eat the entire box in ONE sitting! haha.

So my plan is to find a good low-carb bread recipe that I can make sometime this week, instead of my beloved triscuits.

The "problem" though with living low-carb...is unless I want to live on lunch meats and string cheese - I really have to "plan" and pretty much make my own foods (such as bread, crackers, etc...)

So yesterday I made my own "quiche" for breakfast for the week - and I HOPE I can do this every sunday. :) I've never really been a huge fan of quiche - maybe I just didn't make it correctly before???...but when I was in Geneva, every morning for breakfast in the cafeteria I'd have their mini cheese quiches...which I LOVED!

And, so, last week when I came home - I went back to my normal breakfast routine of scrambled eggs and bacon (or sausage) from our cafeteria - and while it's tasty, first off it costs like $4/day (which really adds up) and it's very heavy...SO I found an awesome and easy recipe online for a low-carb quiche and made my own yesterday. Using the Wilton Perfect Results Tart/Quiche Pans - that I've owned for ages (but barely use, haha) - I made the following:





Sausage Quiche
1 lb sausage, browned
shredded cheese (any - I used a block of gruyure and shredded it myself)
6 eggs
1 cup HWC (heavy whipping cream)
salt/pepper/spices

Turn on the oven to 350* F. Brown the sausage. Drain the sausage. With a 1/4 cup measuring cup, put a heaping 1/4 cup into each wilton mini quiche pan. Top each with shredded cheese.
Beat the eggs and spices, then beat in the cream. With a 1/2 cup measuring cup, pour 1/2 cup into each wilton mini quiche pan (this part can get a little messy...).
Place all 6 mini quiche pans on a cookie sheet (the bottoms come out so this keeps your oven clean).
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Let stand about 10-15 minutes before removing from pans.

Makes 6 @ 3 carbs each.


And, of course, there's SO many variations of quiche, but this was my first attempt. :) I had one this morning and YUMMY! Not as good as the ones I had in geneva - which also had a nice crust...but it'll do!

Plus, next week I'm going to try using a thin home made crust - with the following recipe I found online (which I'm sure I'll have to tweak):

1/2 cup flax meal
1/2 cup almond flour
spices to your taste
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the flax, almond flour, spices and butter together. Press the mixture into each tart pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing filling above.

I will post more yummy low-carb recipes as I make them. I will DEFINITELY have to make some low-carb breads for my cheeses!

2 comments:

  1. I love quiche! I haven't made it in a long time. I am going to have to make some this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I'm so trying this... I adore cheese and quiche!

    ReplyDelete

Comments really make my day! You show me yours, I'll show you mine!! :D