Ok, so something I've never talked about here is that I have insomnia. I've had it for YEARS and it sucks. About 2 years ago, I did a sleep study (and have had one more since) and I have restless leg syndrome / PLMD - periodic limb movement disorder - although it's not all that bad, but still flares up once in a while, specially when I'm sleeping - which means I literally flop around in bed like a fish out of water.
I've had insomnia since I was a kid. Well the doc put me on a pill called Trazodone - which has been a LIFE SAFER! I take like 100 mg at night and it's just a fabulous night's sleep. :) Some nights I don't even think I move!
BUT. There really isn't a lot out there on whether it's harmful or not and I've found message boards of women who HAVE taken it throughout their pregnancy...but with the fact that we are spending $10,000 on our IVF cycle, I don't want to chance ANYTHING - however I also don't want to have sleepless nights during pregnancy either...
So this is def. something I will have to speak to the RE and OBGYN and sleep doctor about (once I AM pregnant, that is...)
Some days I think "well, I'll just deal with the sleepless nights" and other days there's no way I want to! lol.
I've been trying to cut it back a little...I've been on the BCP for two nights now and Thursday night, the first night, I decided not to take my traz (which I'm known for sporadically taking it anyways, really only when I REALLY feel like it...but some nights it's the ONLY thing that works...). Well Thursday night, after the bcp, and NOT taking the traz, I laid wide awake in bed til like 2 a.m. when I finally said screw it, took two and was dead asleep in like 10 minutes.
I don't know if it was the BCP that kept me awake thursday night, but it was AWFUL. Last night wasn't so bad...I was in and out of sleep all night (didn't take any traz) but I did at least get SOME sleep without it...
sigh. I don't know.
Do you guys have any meds you currently take that you are unsure of once you're pregnant?
When I read some of the things you write I feel we have so much in common, I am just older. I have had insomnia since I was 30. I have been taking Elavil 20 mg and it really doesn't work. I tried Traz. but that didn't work either. I have tried sleeping pills, melatonin, just about everything. When I decided to do IVF I completely got off the Elavil. My insomnia was bad too. You can call Mothers Risk 1-877-439-2744 Helpline and they will tell you about the clinical trials they have done on your medication with pregnant women. I did this with elavil and they said that the birth defect rate was no more than compared to women who did not take it. I am down to 5 mg now so if I ever do get pregnant I can just stop taking it immediately.
ReplyDelete