Monday, November 26, 2012

Infertility and the media...

So tonight we were watching the Monday night comedies on CBS. How I Met Your Mother...The Big Bang Theory (I know it's on Thursdays now, but it was on tonight)...and 2 Broke Girls. I like it - it is funny - and I understand it is truly just a comedy...but tonight's episode pissed me off a little...

So for those of you who don't know the show, it is about two girls who are waitresses and have little to no money but want to start a cupcake business...

Tonight's show, one of them decided to sell her eggs - as in yes, her EGGS. :) Because it's an "easy" way of getting $20,000...

So they both go in and one of them isn't allowed to because she isn't Ivy League, but the other one (who didn't want to in the first place) IS allowed because she did graduate from an Ivy League school. So she just automatically decides right then and there "ok, fine I'll do it" - yeah like it's just that easy.

Of course, though, as they are taking her blood she backs out. But of course they also have to have witty conversation back and forth about why she doesn't want to do it...one of them being she didn't want to get rid of that "good egg" that would be a world-renowned pianist and be left with the one who is crazy and likes women's underwear...and earlier in the episode, when the thought was brought up at all, she said she didn't want to do it because she still wanted to be a mother one day - yeah like donating your eggs would keep you from being a mom later in life.

I dunno - it's just annoying because it is such a serious subject matter. I get that it's a sitcom - but it just puts egg donation in such a bad light.

It's the same thing, to me, as this post I keep seeing all over facebook:


I get that it's supposed to be a joke - and maybe 20 years ago I would have laughed...but seriously NOT funny! Adoption is SUCH a wonderful thing! People should NOT be ashamed of being adopted.

Now - granted...I remember when I was like 8, my cousin and my brother had me in TEARS because they convinced me I was adopted...and no - at 8 I obviously didn't understand anything and thought that was a horrible thing because I didn't know better.

But every time I see that, now, I want to scream.

It is just so beyond frustrating how the media portrays infertility in all forms.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh! I think I would have shot the tv with my nerf gun if I had seen that episode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. And like I said, it's a comedy, I get that. And I'm also usually not offended by that many things...but this offends me mainly due to the fact that it puts it in suuuuuuuuch a bad light and when society sees stuff like that they do NOT understand the true meaning behind what donor eggs is all about. In the episode, while they were there they saw another girl who was having it done (or at least getting her blood taken for it) and while she had gone to Harvard, she looked like a hoodlum - because apparently only girls like that "sell" their eggs!

      Yeah. Just not funny at all.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, saw this one. And then watched the New Girl (on DVR) right after that, and a few days later Gray's Anatomy. Ugh, last week was an all around bad week for us infertiles.

    ReplyDelete

Comments really make my day! You show me yours, I'll show you mine!! :D