Saturday, November 10, 2012

W.T.F. - Blood work and FET :)

So we went in to talk to the doc yesterday for our "WTF" appointment or "why the fail" of course, I like "what the fuck" better, but you know. lol.

So first off - I know my husband felt TONS better after talking with our doc. Our doc actually seemed pissed and angry that our IVF didn't work. He couldn't understand it since our cycle was so "perfect" - beautiful and very STRONG embryos (the fact that we had 4 to freeze on day 5 is awesome).

SO he said - since we transferred 2 and neither took, he wanted to do some blood work - make sure there wasn't anything wrong or implantation issues...since neither took, he wanted a full blood workup on me that is normally only done after recurrent miscarriage. While I didn't technically have a miscarriage, since - as far as we know - the embryos didn't actually implant... - but I am very happy that he is being very pro-active and doing all these tests.

We also spoke about other factors...such as Insulin Resistance/PCOS. I have been on metformin now for close to 5 years...I was told by my GP that I have IR but I have NEVER been diagnosed with PCOS. I have "perfect" 28-29 day cycles, I ovulate every month (per my OPK's) on/around the 14th and have 3 day periods.

But after talking he also decided he wanted to do a GTT (glucose tolerance test) on me as well to see if I even needed to continue the metformin or not...

Here's the list of tests they will be doing on my (20! ack!) vials of blood they took today:
Lupus Anticoagulant
Antiphospolipid Outlay Serum
Factor IV Leiden
Factor II Gene
MTHFR

and the GTT

Of course you should always hope that tests come back negative but at the same time, it would almost put my mind at rest if something DID come back positive so we have SOMETHING to go off of why it didn't work. You know?

Plus - up til now, except for the Day 3 tests (FSH/AMH, etc) NO infertility tests have really been done on me - it's ALL been about my husband. While, again, I don't really WANT anything to be wrong, I know it would make my husband feel better that it's not 100% him either.

So. With all that said, aunt flo FINALLY reared her EXTREMELY ugly head yesterday (hours after we were at the doc's, of course, lol)...so I will call him back on Monday so we can figure out our FET calendar!!!!!

This time around, asides from here and my message boards online - I'm not telling NEARLY the amount of people in real life that I did our IVF that we're doing this this soon. The only people I plan on telling are:
One friend - who I met online and has a baby girl from our doctor (that sounds funny, lol) but we really only text or facebook each other for the most part anyways - we need to hang out more!...(you know who you are! :)
My best friend, who's :( sadly :( moving to Arizona in 2 weeks.
And of course my supervisor, who has to know what's going on...

But we are hoping to do our FET around December 18 or so - depending on my body and cycle.

I will get the test results Monday! :)


7 comments:

  1. I totally hear you on the "I wish there was something wrong" thing. I hate hearing that it should have worked and everything was perfect. I also have moments where I wish there was something to fix and we were just not unlucky. So excited that things are moving forward for y'all. Looking forward to cheering you on for this FET!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) Obviously no on ever WANTS something to be wrong - but really it would just make me feel SO much better if there is. you know? I'm actually very excited to hear my results! Monday can't get here fast enough! haha

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry it didn't work, and I do hope there is something they can point to and say "this is the reason, we can fix this!" (that sounds weird - I don't wish for anyone to have problems, but I soooo understand needing a specific thing to blame and then FIX).

    20 vials???? OMG, did they leave you any blood hardly? I thought my 12 vials were epic, but that's just crazy! Hope they at least gave you some juice or a cookie!

    Good luck on the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - well I also had the GTT done which included a bottle of sugar water. :)

      Delete
  3. OMG the RPL blood panel is a killer but hopefully you get some answers. I actually did from that test and it was as simple as an additional injection of a blood thinner ... And YES YES YES we need to hang out more. I promise I am setting some time aside for you once my house gets over this dang stomach bug that Arianna spread to my hubby... and possibly my son..omg hopefully not me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the bloodwork will deliver fast and good results. And more importantly - answers.
    My first IVF went textbook cycle up until the blast stage ... ended in BFN. My second one looked like a disaster and it took. Sometimes it's just hard to see any pattern and draw any conclusions.
    It sounds we may do FET at around the same time. Wishing you the bestest with the preparations and the upcoming cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lilly, I am so so sorry I have been MIA! I completely missed your entire IVF cycle! I am back, caught up and here to stay now. I'm sorry it didn't work, but am so happy you have 4 snowbabies and your Dr is being really proactive! Really excited for December for you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments really make my day! You show me yours, I'll show you mine!! :D