Tuesday, January 24, 2012

We are broken - like Humpty Dumpty...

:sigh: :sigh: :sigh:...

this sucks.


So we went to the RE - who seems really great. But, after looking at our past tests (his SA's, my hSG, etc...) and our past medical history...we talked about the varicocele surgery - and we all agreed that it's too much of a gamble...especially since I do have a blocked tube.

So after discussing things - our ONLY option is IVF.


First off - I want to say - I love the idea of In-Vitro. I know how AWESOME it is for those who've done it and what a WONDERFUL option it is for those who can't conceive naturally. I think that medical assistance is incredible - and - being the type of person who jumps into things head-first, I would start tomorrow.

BUT.

I HATE the idea of "financing" our kid. I hate thinking that - why is it fair that there's so many stupid women out there - such as a family member's meth-head ex-wife - who can pop babies out like no one's business - who doesn't even WANT or care about her own child...yet we have to pay $15,000 just to try and even get pregnant?
I mean really????????

w.t.f.

And - of course - we live in a state where our insurance won't pay for a dime when it comes to medical assistance of fertility. I have usually awesome insurance. Our fee today  just for consultation...$190. Thank GOD I do have an FSA (which I took out half of the full amount allowed - so I have $2750 for the year...damn I wish I'd have taken out the full $5,000.)

sigh. we also have to do ICSI. so, of course that's more.

$14,000. fourteen THOUSAND dollars. mother fudger.


7 comments:

  1. Sorry you got bad news. I know how hard it is to finally accept this it the way we have to do it. It takes a while. Make sure you grieve. It took me a while to realize that I was grieving the loss of being able to do it naturally. When I finally did it helped a ton. Hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily. Thanks. :) It just sucks. no ifs ands or buts. lol.

    @Heather - I'm sorry I think I accidentally deleted your comment this morning! But I know you did comment and I appreciate your support.

    Thanks guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lilly. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I totally hear you about the financing a baby thing. When first faced with the prospect of IVF we never thought we could do it. We got lucky and our family gave us a very generous donation. Without that I don't know if we could have managed it. There are some grants out there. We applied for one (didn't get it) but you never know. It's so not fair how much it costs. I have always felt that we were spending our kids' college tuition before they are even born. They better be smart or athletic and get a scholarship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that makes me nervous... We have our first appointment tomorrow and my husband's SA looks similar. That is a ton of money. I don't think we could afford that, meaning that would be the end. Well, I'll not get depressed before I actually met the RE. Maybe it's going to be informative. I'll let you know what comes out of it. Maybe different REs recommend different treatments? I hope you will find a way to fulfill your dream! All the best to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dorrie...one thing to keep in mind..there aren't a lot out there, but SOME (very very few) insurances DO cover infertility treatments - and SOME states (such as Illinois) have a mandated clause where it's covered...unfortunately we live in Indiana where it does not. :(

    Anyways though - good luck with yours!!! Hopefully, if it's JUST your husband than IUI might be an option! It's not for us because I also have a blocked tube...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lilly,
    thanks for your reply. I just came back from our appointment. He was very nice and I am glad we finally went. We have to do a couple more tests before he can decide between IUI and IVF. My husband has to do yet another analysis and I have to do one more ultrasound and blood test. I kind of feel like a car during inspection time right now. Just hope that once they finished putting on new tires and topping up the oil, we will be closer to our dream. I don't think I've ever been to so many medical appointments in my life... Anyways, thanks for your reply! My insurance covers up to $5000. That will be helpful.
    All the best to you and thanks for writing your blog!!!
    Dorrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dorrie - that is so very awesome! I must say I am extremely jealous! :D My insurance is usually pretty darn awesome - but nope...NO infertility treatments are covered. :sigh:.

    anyways - good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments really make my day! You show me yours, I'll show you mine!! :D